Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59851
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47431
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
would you be willing to hand them an industry award for doing so?
“We don’t.” It’s kinda of an incestuous thing they got goin’ on in Hollywood, so there’s no sense in anyone gittin’ all riled up about it.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
I think a lot of you folks are missing the point here.

It's not about whether Portman is a good dancer or is a good actor.

The point is about whether the studio et al. (including Portman's own fiance) told the public a blatant, bald-faced lie in order to help her get the statue. It's the potential deception that has people up in arms.

Think of the examples given in this thread:

Nobody ever claimed that Tom Hanks actually went out and caught AIDS.

Nobody ever claimed that Gary Cooper ever went out and mowed down fifty Germans.

Nobody said that Tom Cruise learned to fly.

That's not the case with Portman. The studio, the producers, her family, etc all came out and stated publicly that she provided the bulk of the dance performance in the film. If that turns out to be untrue - and I think that's still an open question - then you have ask whether people willing to mislead the public to that extent in order to boost the profit line of their product should be handed awards.

This is, after all, a business. If a regular old company lied to you about the qualities of their product would you be willing to hand them an industry award for doing so?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Agreed...that is the question.

But the discussion is probably doing as much to help the movie as the question. And how does one measure a "bold faced lie"? Did Miss P actually dance all the dances? Did Miss L also dance all the dances? Which ones were in the film and which ones ended up on the editors floor?

Is it a bold faced lie?...or is it shading of the truth?...or is it an opinion? Like most things in life...the real truth probably lies somewhere inbetween the two extremes.

This discussion could also be about a question of Miss L's integrity...In that she took the producer's money...austensibly in consideration of her dancing abilities as well as doing what she was told to do...and now has reneged on that deal. This could (not saying it is, but it could) be about a disgruntled employee, not getting the recognition she thinks she deserves, who is doing a bit of shading of the truth of her own. After all...outside of ballet circles...would Miss L's name ever be mentioned if it were not for this controversy?

An interesting cocktail talk discussion...before going home to see what happened on the evening news.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
Understood. . . but can she show a birth certificate?
The new "Trump Card".
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Default it was already addressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
Agreed...that is the question.

But the discussion is probably doing as much to help the movie as the question. And how does one measure a "bold faced lie"? Did Miss P actually dance all the dances? Did Miss L also dance all the dances? Which ones were in the film and which ones ended up on the editors floor?

Is it a bold faced lie?...or is it shading of the truth?...or is it an opinion? Like most things in life...the real truth probably lies somewhere inbetween the two extremes.

This discussion could also be about a question of Miss L's integrity...In that she took the producer's money...austensibly in consideration of her dancing abilities as well as doing what she was told to do...and now has reneged on that deal. This could (not saying it is, but it could) be about a disgruntled employee, not getting the recognition she thinks she deserves, who is doing a bit of shading of the truth of her own. After all...outside of ballet circles...would Miss L's name ever be mentioned if it were not for this controversy?

An interesting cocktail talk discussion...before going home to see what happened on the evening news.
the question was addressed several times already
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
This is, after all, a business. If a regular old company lied to you about the qualities of their product would you be willing to hand them an industry award for doing so?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Toyota and a bunch of JD Power-type awards and their Quality Problems comes to mind

A bunch of products have been named best new this or that and had claims support issues

I don't feel like looking this up, but it happens...&

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
“We don’t.” It’s kinda of an incestuous thing they got goin’ on in Hollywood, so there’s no sense in anyone gittin’ all riled up about it.
..as IB points out the awards culture is so different in industry it just isn't a big deal...certainly not to the general public...
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Well, here's an industry example that people should get riled about.

It turns out that Mercedes' highly-touted crash avoidance radar is partially a fake.

As you can see in their commercials, the system is supposed to automatically brake the car if you get too close to another object thereby avoiding or reducing the severity of a collision.

It turns out, however, that Mercedes' engineers knew that the system didn't work when driving in certain areas. For instance, the system often got confused by radar scatter when inside parking garages or on very narrow streets. In those conditions the radar wouldn't engage the automatic brakes.

Despite knowing about these problems Mercedes produced videos of their cars stopping "automatically" inside garages. Turns out that it was actually the test driver and not the radar system that was doing all the braking in those clips.

Should Mercedes have their safety awards and rating yanked for that one? I sure think so. And I think the public would and should sit up and notice if somebody had the balls to do it.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #22
HoneyRose
Account Disabled

User ID: 112
My ECCIE Reviews

This reminds me of the when Marine Jahan came forward to say she did all of the dances in "Flash Dance" for Jennifer Beals. At the time Marine was not credited in the film credits. She even rode the bicycle instead of Beals in the opening scenes.

HoneyRose is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #23
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Well, here's an industry example that people should get riled about.

It turns out that Mercedes' highly-touted crash avoidance radar is partially a fake.

As you can see in their commercials, the system is supposed to automatically brake the car if you get too close to another object thereby avoiding or reducing the severity of a collision.

It turns out, however, that Mercedes' engineers knew that the system didn't work when driving in certain areas. For instance, the system often got confused by radar scatter when inside parking garages or on very narrow streets. In those conditions the radar wouldn't engage the automatic brakes.

Despite knowing about these problems Mercedes produced videos of their cars stopping "automatically" inside garages. Turns out that it was actually the test driver and not the radar system that was doing all the braking in those clips.

Should Mercedes have their safety awards and rating yanked for that one? I sure think so. And I think the public would and should sit up and notice if somebody had the balls to do it.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Well Maz...you're kind of mixing obligations. I'm not sure whose "Safety Award" you are talking about...but if it were Rudy's Safety Award...and the facts were as you have presented...and I had awarded the Safety Award based soley on their representation...then Yes, I would revoke my Safety Award. Short of all those facts being what I spelled out...then I would have to review the true facts before making that decision.

The intergrity of the award presentation is different than the intergity of the one it is presented to. It's up to the presented to protect his integrity...and its up to the presenter to protect his.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Portman should give her Oscar back right after she swings by my house and gives me an Oscar winning performance.

I've had no respect for the Oscars since "The English Patient" won Best Pic. What a crappy film. They've worked themselves into irrelevancy. "Its hard being a Pimp" as Best Song? Ridiculous.
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

Interesting thoughts and examples.
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

I think the question really is: do we penalize a movie/actress/actor because they take a role that requires more skill than just acting? Other dancers that have acted in dance movies are Neve Campbell in "The Company" and Julia Stiles in "Save the Last Dance." There is other such talent in other such movies.

Do we penalized action actors who have stuntmen/doubles (Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid and Indiana Jones series comes to mind)? Do we penalize Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" because she used a doubles legs in the promos? Do we penalize science fiction because it is not possibly true?

I guess my question is: at which point do you draw the line?

I think actors/actresses with talents other than just acting are to be treasured. So what if she didn't do ALL the dancing. She did quite a bit...and that takes talent. Being en pointe is no easy deal. It takes years of practice.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #27
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadfly View Post
Portman should give her Oscar back right after she swings by my house and gives me an Oscar winning performance.

I've had no respect for the Oscars since "The English Patient" won Best Pic. What a crappy film. They've worked themselves into irrelevancy. "Its hard being a Pimp" as Best Song? Ridiculous.
Ooooh got to disagree with that. Minghella was great and I miss him.
IMO that was worth a win

C
Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
Camille
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

I don't agree that is the question Charles. Its a question of deception and whether it exists. Whether Portman danced or not wouldn't have been a shit storm of an issue...though it may have affected her Oscar nom..the shit storm is the deception.

C
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
I think the question really is: do we penalize a movie/actress/actor because they take a role that requires more skill than just acting? Other dancers that have acted in dance movies are Neve Campbell in "The Company" and Julia Stiles in "Save the Last Dance." There is other such talent in other such movies.

Do we penalized action actors who have stuntmen/doubles (Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid and Indiana Jones series comes to mind)? Do we penalize Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" because she used a doubles legs in the promos? Do we penalize science fiction because it is not possibly true?

I guess my question is: at which point do you draw the line?

I think actors/actresses with talents other than just acting are to be treasured. So what if she didn't do ALL the dancing. She did quite a bit...and that takes talent. Being en pointe is no easy deal. It takes years of practice.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #29
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRose View Post
This reminds me of the when Marine Jahan came forward to say she did all of the dances in "Flash Dance" for Jennifer Beals. At the time Marine was not credited in the film credits. She even rode the bicycle instead of Beals in the opening scenes.

I was thinking the same thing, but Beals didn't win an Oscar. I Wikied it earlier. Beales actually had three "body doubles" [sic: "three" "doubles" - ???? hmm] - one was a guy! That's certainly a sucker punch to my "lust mode."
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
I don't agree that is the question Charles. Its a question of deception and whether it exists.

C
That is fine...where do you draw the line?

With appropriate time and resourcing (maybe just half an hour and Google), I could probably come up with a list of deceptions made by other winners...
atlcomedy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women