Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 54212
My ECCIE Reviews
Question Why more Americans don't travel abroad

So I was reading this article on CNN, seems there's only 30% of Americans that have passports!!??...That is insane to me...Was just wondering how many of you all have passports and have traveled abroad, and for those of you who haven't, I'm interested to know why....

I know there are the obvious reasons why some don't travel abroad ( airfare, lodging too expensive)...But there was one bit of this article where someone said, "America has it all: "From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans, white with foam,".....To me, this statement just seems ignorant. This country is very young, there are so many things abroad that America doesn't have, I know I am a bit biased because of my love for history and travel in general, and I know not everyone enjoys that sort of thing, I just have a difficult time understanding why some people have absolutely no interest in ever leaving their country to explore other cultures? Learn more languages? There is so much beauty to be seen in the world, so I was just curious to know everyone's sentiments on this topic....

Btw-if you want to read the article here's the link http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/04....html?hpt=Sbin
Valerie is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Naomi4u
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 55719
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
there's only 30% of Americans that have passports....

I'm not surprised.

Quote:
But there was one bit of this article where someone said, "America has it all: "From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans, white with foam,".....To me, this statement just seems ignorant.
Indeed. Very ignorant. The thing is.. Americans THINK they have it all LOL!

Most of the black americans I have spoken with have no plans of leaving this country anytime soon.
They are completely ignorant when it comes to other countries. Being a young nigerian "girl" living in the states I am open to traveling to and learning about other countries and different cultures. I know one thing america doesn't have...

No comment!
Naomi4u is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

1. This board isn't representative of the population at large. Even if all of us aren't jet-setting around on our own private aircraft, I suspect we are much more worldly group than many.

2. For the vast majority of Americans, there is no need. It is for many something they might want to do & may even grow in their worldview and thinking, but they don't need to. Many Europeans need to cross borders as a practical reality.

3. The U.S. is pretty damn big & it is tough to exhaust everything there is here. A family member of mine, who has a passport and has travelled abroad, said she really has no desire to go back to Europe until she sees the equilivant of a "bucket list" in the States.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
1. This board isn't representative of the population at large. Even if all of us aren't jet-setting around on our own private aircraft, I suspect we are much more worldly group than many.
Agreed.

2. For the vast majority of Americans, there is no need. It is for many something they might want to do & may even grow in their worldview and thinking, but they don't need to. Many Europeans need to cross borders as a practical reality.
I know most Americans don't NEED to leave, I just wonder why there seems to be little interest in some wanting to explore more?

3. The U.S. is pretty damn big & it is tough to exhaust everything there is here. A family member of mine, who has a passport and has travelled abroad, said she really has no desire to go back to Europe until she sees the equilivant of a "bucket list" in the States.
Yes, America is huge, and I've traveled many many states/sites, but if I was American and lived here all my life I would still want to travel, but that's just me..
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
mufflover
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5

its all good!

While the observation is correct on never leaving your own back yard, or gain appreciation firsthand of differing cultures--the US does have great differences regionally and much to enjoy as well.

Too many never leave their own city/region and see what is out there.

ML
mufflover is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Yes, America is huge, and I've traveled many many states/sites, but if I was American and lived here all my life I would still want to travel, but that's just me..
Exactly. So people who "aren't you" are automatically "ignorant".

International borders are very tightly packed in Europe, so it should be no surprise that a higher percentage of people there have passports and travel internationally. Texas is 200 sq. mi. bigger than France. And international travel is well beyond the financial capabilities and certainly the financial priorities of most Americans.

I dare say more Americans have visited Europe than vice versa which explains why most of the Europeans I've met expected all of the US to be like NYC and LA because that's what they see in movies and TV.

At least Americans have always had the option to travel internationally, that's a fairly new development for many, many countries in Europe.

I guess in this case international travel is somewhat like a sign I once saw about tatoos. Those who have them (or in this case those who don't travel), don't care if you don't (in this case don't care if you travel).
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
I said I thought that statement seemed a bit ignorant....I never said people who aren't myself are automatically ignorant, so stop putting words in my mouth... I didn't start this thread for drama, if anything trying to help take some of the attention away from the threads that have gotten out of hand...

I am simply curious about this topic, no need to get hostile
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Naomi4u
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 55719
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
...But there was one bit of this article where someone said, "America has it all: "From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans, white with foam,".....To me, this statement just seems ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
Quote:
I said I thought that statement seemed a bit ignorant....I never said people who aren't myself are automatically ignorant, so stop putting words in my mouth..
Lmfao.. she didn't call anyone ignorant. Geesh!
Naomi4u is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Quote:
I said I thought that statement seemed a bit ignorant....I never said people who aren't myself are automatically ignorant, so stop putting words in my mouth... I didn't start this thread for drama, if anything trying to help take some of the attention away from the threads that have gotten out of hand...

I am simply curious about this topic, no need to get hostile
My apologies, wouldn't dream of putting words in your mouth. Have a great day.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
texasgoldengirl
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 7883

What amazes me is the high percentage of stereotypical dumb Americans who do travel abroad. Holding a passport does not mean you know how to travel or have any better manners than those left at home.

Though the recent flood of nouveau riche Chinese takes the heat off Americans. The Chinese get consistently poor reviews from the travel and service industries, despite their wealth. Which illustrates, again, that just because you have a passport doesn't make you a great traveler.

XX
Amanda
texasgoldengirl is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgoldengirl View Post
What amazes me is the high percentage of stereotypical dumb Americans who do travel abroad. Holding a passport does not mean you know how to travel or have any better manners than those left at home.

Though the recent flood of nouveau riche Chinese takes the heat off Americans. The Chinese get consistently poor reviews from the travel and service industries, despite their wealth. Which illustrates, again, that just because you have a passport doesn't make you a great traveler.

XX
Amanda
Agreed..
Old 02-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
amusemeant
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 47607
My ECCIE Reviews

Before we start talking about why Americans don't travel abroad, we should talk about why they don't travel at all. In my own travels throughout the US I have met enough people who tell me that they have never left their home state, or never been 100 miles from their home town, that it amazes me.

As has been said in this thread, the US is a widely varied place with great differences in culture, language, food, etc - from state to state and region to region.

When I have traveled abroad, I know that I have certainly felt ignorant, or like 'the ugly American' at times. People certainly don't always make Americans feel welcome when traveling, whether you seem high class or not, when in certain areas. I have hidden my identity as an American at times, and so have many of my friends, all of whom are well traveled, to get better treatment. It always helps to know how to speak many languages, something a lot of Americans are not capable of.

I guess not everyone cares enough about becoming more cultured to go through it all for a vacation - when there are so many nice spots to relax where people will treat you really nice close to home. I personally can think of about 10 places I would rather go than to Europe with my passport anyway - been there, done that, got the tshirt....
amusemeant is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Valerie
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusemeant View Post
Before we start talking about why Americans don't travel abroad, we should talk about why they don't travel at all. In my own travels throughout the US I have met enough people who tell me that they have never left their home state, or never been 100 miles from their home town, that it amazes me.
Yes!...Good point, I have had people here tell me that as well and I find it absolutely amazing...Some people have no desire to leave their state!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

I love to travel. My travels have given me enormous insights into other cultures. I was in Paris where I enjoyed being despised by a French bus driver. I was touring Italy where I was mistaken as being German. I enjoyed the fact that I was not immediately identified as “the ugly American.” It was years later that I heard that Italians tolerate Germans even less than they tolerate Americans. My bubble was burst! LOL
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
amusemeant
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 47607
My ECCIE Reviews

And it does seem that the more you travel, the more your views are widened to be more understanding of a great number of people (hopefully). I think a lot of people who don't consider themselves wealthy enough or educated enough or "whatever" enough are just scared to go too far away from home. Imagine if you only used the most widely viewed sources of news here in the US for all your information about humanity, how scared you might be.
amusemeant is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women