Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70376
biomed160259
Yssup Rider59839
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47421
pyramider46370
bambino40273
CryptKicker37060
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35127
Mojojo33117

Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
oden
Valued Poster

Default Tax Reality Check

If there were no withholding or sales tax, and you had to pay all of your taxes in a lump sum at the end of the year, do you think politicians could get away with the tax burden they have placed on everyone? I think even those unfortunate enough to be living off of disability, pensions, welfare etc.. would be forced to realize they are still paying taxes!
oden is offline   Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Politicians are extremely adept at devising taxes that "feel" like they are being imposed on someone else...but in reality are being imposed on all of us.

Sales tax simply raises the cost of good and services. We tend to exempt things that appear necessary (food, medical, etc). But that just shifts the burden to other items...and in theory higher income individuals under the assumtion that they by more of the non-exempt items.

Homestead and Over 65 property tax exemptions simply shift the burden of property tax away from residential and towards commercial enterprise. But such shift again just raises the cost of good and services. Theoretically that is also a shift to higher income individuals.

Hotel and motel taxes collect excessive tax revenues from visitors to a local, under the guise that such is not taxing its own citizens.

Corporate income tax has the feel of taxing some non person entity. But again, such taxes simply raise the costs of goods and services. I guess that also shifts the burden to higher income individuals.

Yep, if we all had to write a check at the end of the year for all the taxes we owe...it would be more dramatic.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Never happen. If we had a system like that, most people would likely wind up in debtor's prison w/in a couple of years for being unable to pay the tax. People in the US know how to spend on credit, but not save to stay out of jail.

As it stands now, we have a withholding system that doesn't work.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
Originally Posted by oden View Post
If there were no withholding or sales tax, and you had to pay all of your taxes in a lump sum at the end of the year, do you think politicians could get away with the tax burden they have placed on everyone? I think even those unfortunate enough to be living off of disability, pensions, welfare etc.. would be forced to realize they are still paying taxes!
People on disability or welfare that are at or below the poverty level for income are exempt from paying taxes, with the exception of sales / service tax on thing they buy. I don't know about the people living off pensions however.

In answer to your question no, I don't think they would get away with it, and the majority of people most likely would not save to pay for the taxes in a lump sum at the end of the year. I think you would see a real outcry from the public.
Bebe Le Strange is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
As it stands now, we have a withholding system that doesn't work.
It seems to me, the IRS is constantly putting a hurt on my party funds.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe Le Strange View Post
People on disability or welfare that are at or below the poverty level for income are exempt from paying taxes, with the exception of sales / service tax on thing they buy. I don't know about the people living off pensions however.
IDK, but I don't think this is true. I think people can fall below the poverty level (which is a moving target) and still be required to file tax returns and pay taxes.

Someone on this board with more knowledge about taxes than me will be able to answer this definitively.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Don't forget gasoline tax, property tax and all those various taxes you pay on your utility bills. My guess is the avg middle class American pays 45-50% of their income in taxes.
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadfly View Post
Don't forget gasoline tax, property tax and all those various taxes you pay on your utility bills. My guess is the avg middle class American pays 45-50% of their income in taxes.
And the taxes and government fees on telephone service.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

As a small business owner I have the pleasure of writing checks to the governments on a quarterly basis In fact most of you providers out there should be doing the same I'm sure you all report all of that cash income

And yes, if most Americans had to do the same as opposed having their taxes withheld there would be an uproar that makes these tea party rallies look small.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

As a practical matter, it would never work because most people don't have the discipline to do that. I essentially do that since 70% of my income comes from a business and we don't know the profits until the last quarter. So I make a huge 1040-ES payment in December. But Joe Sixpack can't hold on to his money from one pay day to the next, much less until the end of the year.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
oden
Valued Poster

So I guess Joe sixpack would be motivated to ask why he had to pay and exactly where his taxes were going. My point exactly.
oden is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

No. He'd just be petrified of going to jail because he pissed away all the money he was supposed to bs saving to pay his taxes.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadfly View Post

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/YourRealTaxRate40.aspx

In a study for the National Bureau of Economic Research, Boston University economists Laurence J. Kotlikoff and David Rapson have found that our all-in marginal tax rate is 40%, give or take a bit. Yes, you read that right: 40%.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Doove
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
In a study for the National Bureau of Economic Research, Boston University economists Laurence J. Kotlikoff and David Rapson have found that our all-in marginal tax rate is 40%, give or take a bit. Yes, you read that right: 40%.
That, combined with the fact that the top 20% share about 80-85% of the wealth in this country, while the bottom 80% split about 15-20%, all i can say is......

WHAT REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH ARE THESE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT?
Doove is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

40% sounds a lot more realistic to me.

Gas, utility taxes, etc. are basically meaningless to the wealthy because they are so small relative to income. You can basically look at your tax return(s), your pay roll taxes, and your property taxes and add $3 - 5k for the little shit and you're there. Add franchise tax if you own a business.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women