Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70399
biomed160419
Yssup Rider59881
gman4452901
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47485
pyramider46370
bambino40299
CryptKicker37074
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35264
Mojojo33117

Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

I don't support the death penalty under any circumstances, and that includes this case. That being said, if it's appropriate anywhere, this would certainly be a candidate. Their actions against the civilian victims is bad enough. But their crime is far more heinous than that. They have dishonored their country. They have dishonored the armed forces. And as several have pointed out, they have materially and substantially increased the danger to those that they served with.

Of course, I can also see the logic of giving one of the malefactors a reduced sentence so he will roll on the others. But even at that, 24 years seems light. Because what they have done will undo the good (assuming that there is any good) of thousands of acts of kindness shown to Afghan civilians by literally tens of thousands of their fellow soldiers. In essence, they have undermined the ostensible mission that the country sent them to fulfill and have committed treason.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
gnadfly
Account Disabled

I'd wish Wakeup would comment on this thread.
gnadfly is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
rachet3375
Valued Poster

Encounters: 41

Why thank you Nina, what is life without dreams?
rachet3375 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
With all due respect, and perhaps we are speaking of different videos, but the people with the reporters who were killed were very clearly armed.
as far as i am concerned They were unarmed. Cameras have been mistaken for weapons. Severe mistake.
are we talking about this video here? That`S the one i am referring to.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...978017,00.html
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
I don't support the death penalty under any circumstances, and that includes this case. That being said, if it's appropriate anywhere, this would certainly be a candidate. Their actions against the civilian victims is bad enough. But their crime is far more heinous than that. They have dishonored their country. They have dishonored the armed forces. And as several have pointed out, they have materially and substantially increased the danger to those that they served with.

Of course, I can also see the logic of giving one of the malefactors a reduced sentence so he will roll on the others. But even at that, 24 years seems light. Because what they have done will undo the good (assuming that there is any good) of thousands of acts of kindness shown to Afghan civilians by literally tens of thousands of their fellow soldiers. In essence, they have undermined the ostensible mission that the country sent them to fulfill and have committed treason.
Intellectually and hypothetically i agree with you, but you know as well as we all do that reality is always different, and happenings like that are just the top of the iceberg. Remember the vietnam war where soldiers have gone berserk on women or even their own soldier - collegues. War is dirty. I pledge to avoid them in the first place.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasastri View Post
as far as i am concerned They were unarmed. Cameras have been mistaken for weapons. Severe mistake.
are we talking about this video here? That`S the one i am referring to.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...978017,00.html
Nina – yes, it’s the same strike. No one is claiming the reporters were carrying weapons. They were walking with other men who had weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_12...hdad_airstrike

Murphy’s Laws of Combat Operations: In combat—
1) never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself. They draw fire.
2) anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
3) remember, friendly fire isn’t.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #22
rachet3375
Valued Poster

Encounters: 41

Unfortunately if you are in a war zone the danger is inherent and you are at risk, armed or not. War is insane and it is unrealistic to think that someones sanity could not slip it's reins given certain circumstances. God does not allow wars to happen, he allows us to allow them.
rachet3375 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #23
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
Nina – yes, it’s the same strike. No one is claiming the reporters were carrying weapons. They were walking with other men who had weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_12...hdad_airstrike

Murphy’s Laws of Combat Operations: In combat—
1) never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself. They draw fire.
2) anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
3) remember, friendly fire isn’t.
No one was engaging in wARFARE. They were walking relaxed. They intended to shoot, because they mistook a large camera for some AK something weapon. They shot at the reporter first. The fat one, the older one. The whole reason why they started shooting was him and his camera.
But if you don`t mind me asking - why shoot someone that lies on the floor? And why shoot some van that clearly tries to rescue the wounded? Even if they are with weapons don`t they deserve to get medical treatment? do they have to be killed?

And the other question? Reuters was making investigations into that and why did they never get an information? What is the problem? Its not that some tactical stuff was given out? Or some hidden military secrets? The misinformation that was handed out after that incident speaks volumes. I have seen the video from beginning to end about three times. I could not understand why they would shoot in the first place. There were no weapons. They run around without cover. Who would do that if intending to shoot or engage in warfare?
But .....about wikipedia: here is some additional discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ju...hdad_airstrike
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #24
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
No one was engaging in wARFARE. They were walking relaxed.
You evidently are choosing not to understand the nature of war. So, hypothetically, what would you say if it was a murderer or rapist leaving the scene of a crime? Is s/he less a criminal because s/he is “walking relaxed” away from the scene of the crime? So, by extension, is an enemy combatant "walking relaxed" to or from a battle less of an enemy combatant because s/he is not actually shooting at an American at that particular moment in time?
Quote:
They intended to shoot, because they mistook a large camera for some AK something weapon.
The Apache’s targeting system (a camera – with telephoto capability) makes it appear that this engagement occurred at close range. I too have watched the video three or four times—I saw the weapons. I also noticed that nobody in that group appears to be aware of the Apache helicopter (you know – those dangerous, windy, noisy things that hang in the air), which indicates that the helicopter was probably 200 or 300 hundred meters (maybe more) away from the group. The weapons officer noticeably (per the audibles) focuses on the men openly carrying weapons in a combat zone. As such, they were legitimate targets. As such, the Apache engaged.
Quote:
They shot at the reporter first.
In combat, anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. The reporters were standing ten feet or so in front of the men carrying weapons. Therefore, the reporters were part of the targeted group—not the reporters per se—but they were in the line of fire.
Quote:
The whole reason why they started shooting was him and his camera.
The weapons officer indentified – by type – the weapons the other men were carrying before engaging. What he thought about the cameraman, you and I do not know.
Quote:
But if you don`t mind me asking - why shoot someone that lies on the floor?
???? It’s a war. In combat, anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. You engage the enemy as you find him. Unless the enemy combatant is seriously wounded, has a white flag or his hands are empty and in the air, he is otherwise considered a legitimate target.
Quote:
And why shoot some van that clearly tries to rescue the wounded?
What is obvious to would be “arm chair commanders,” using 20/20 hindsight, sitting detached in the comfort of their homes, was probably not so obvious to the weapons officer in the heat of combat.
Quote:
Even if they are with weapons don`t they deserve to get medical treatment?
According to the article we are both citing, the survivors were indeed given medical treatment.
Quote:
do they have to be killed?
???? It’s the nature of war.
Quote:
And the other question? Reuters was making investigations into that and why did they never get an information? What is the problem? Its not that some tactical stuff was given out?
It is exactly that: classified tactical information.
Quote:
Or some hidden military secrets?
No. It’s not a secret.
Quote:
The misinformation that was handed out after that incident speaks volumes.
Assange is the one guilty of misinformation.
Quote:
I have seen the video from beginning to end about three times.
Questions: Did you have a hot cup of coffee with some pastries while you were watching? Was there anyone shooting at you? Did you hear explosions? Were you jarred by the concussions? Did the rattle of gunfire distract you in any way? And those radio calls for help from the men on the ground, did you sense any desperation in the voices. These are just some of the factors that play into combat decision making that “arm chair commanders” gloss over when they criticize.
Quote:
I could not understand why they would shoot in the first place.
???? It’s the nature of war.
Quote:
There were no weapons.
How can you deny this when even Assange admits there were weapons?
Quote:
They run around without cover. Who would do that if intending to shoot or engage in warfare?
I don’t care who you are, if you are in the target area of a 30mm chaingun you are going to scurry around looking for a deep hole to crawl into. You will not be worried about where it’s coming from, so much as you’ll be worried about getting out of its way. The idea of shooting back would come as a complete after-thought.

In combat, anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. That maxim explains what happened to the reporters.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
You evidently are choosing not to understand the nature of war. So, hypothetically, what would you say if it was a murderer or rapist leaving the scene of a crime? Is s/he less a criminal because s/he is “walking relaxed” away from the scene of the crime? So, by extension, is an enemy combatant "walking relaxed" to or from a battle less of an enemy combatant because s/he is not actually shooting at an American at that particular moment in time? The Apache’s targeting system (a camera – with telephoto capability) makes it appear that this engagement occurred at close range. I too have watched the video three or four times—I saw the weapons. I also noticed that nobody in that group appears to be aware of the Apache helicopter (you know – those dangerous, windy, noisy things that hang in the air), which indicates that the helicopter was probably 200 or 300 hundred meters (maybe more) away from the group. The weapons officer noticeably (per the audibles) focuses on the men openly carrying weapons in a combat zone. As such, they were legitimate targets. As such, the Apache engaged. In combat, anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. The reporters were standing ten feet or so in front of the men carrying weapons. Therefore, the reporters were part of the targeted group—not the reporters per se—but they were in the line of fire. The weapons officer indentified – by type – the weapons the other men were carrying before engaging. What he thought about the cameraman, you and I do not know. ???? It’s a war. In combat, anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. You engage the enemy as you find him. Unless the enemy combatant is seriously wounded, has a white flag or his hands are empty and in the air, he is otherwise considered a legitimate target. What is obvious to would be “arm chair commanders,” using 20/20 hindsight, sitting detached in the comfort of their homes, was probably not so obvious to the weapons officer in the heat of combat. According to the article we are both citing, the survivors were indeed given medical treatment. ???? It’s the nature of war. It is exactly that: classified tactical information. No. It’s not a secret. Assange is the one guilty of misinformation. Questions: Did you have a hot cup of coffee with some pastries while you were watching? Was there anyone shooting at you? Did you hear explosions? Were you jarred by the concussions? Did the rattle of gunfire distract you in any way? And those radio calls for help from the men on the ground, did you sense any desperation in the voices. These are just some of the factors that play into combat decision making that “arm chair commanders” gloss over when they criticize. ???? It’s the nature of war. How can you deny this when even Assange admits there were weapons? I don’t care who you are, if you are in the target area of a 30mm chaingun you are going to scurry around looking for a deep hole to crawl into. You will not be worried about where it’s coming from, so much as you’ll be worried about getting out of its way. The idea of shooting back would come as a complete after-thought.

In combat, anything you do can get you killed, including nothing. That maxim explains what happened to the reporters.
Ok i understand where you are coming from. You are right with the weapons i reread it after our discussion again. Nevertheless, even if i don`t seem to understand the nature of the war like you seem to it is my understanding that people who are already victims don`t need to be shot at again.

No one was using the weapons after everyone already has been lying on the floor. The shooting of the van was completely and outrageously unnecessary. Also victims of war - yes the ones that survive - and they had no weapons lying around to shoot back - have a right to live. It was unnecessary to shoot the van , and it was a mistake (although a comprehensible one) that they shot the people in the first place.

But other than that i agree with you. Yes even Assange admitted there were weapons. I just don`t see what is classified about that information. I think the relatives of the people have a right to know. And the military lied about how things went down. They also could have chosen to NOT say anything or to say the truth.

So , if you are right, and i think you are - although i disagree with some of th emotivations - then why would they need to distract information and present the things differently than they were? That IS an act of political disinformation.

Ok war journalism IS dangerous, everyone who is a journalist knows that. Its the highest paid journalism and the one that can get you killed eventually. So its not surprising these things happen. What is surprising is that the military decided to present these happenings differently. Why is that? Because they could not justify the original happenings?

I do understand that these things can happen. Its war and mistakes do happen. And we don`t know the history of that what happened before the shootings.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Mistakes were made. Innocents tragically died. My question is: “Why did Assange choose to manipulate and portray this incident as an act of malicious murder?”

Another question: “Where was Assange’s moral outrage when: 1) on April 10, 2004, American, Nick Berg, was captured in Baghdad and executed on May 7. He was a businessman. 2) June 11, 2004, Lebanese, Hussein Ali Alyan, was captured and executed. He was working as a construction worker. 3) July 22, 2004, Bulgarian, Ivaylo Kepov, was captured and executed near Baiji. He was working for a Bulgarian trucking company as a truck driver. 4) July 25, 2004, Jordanian, Marwan Zuheir Al Rusan, was shot and killed in Mosul. He was a businessman. 5) July 28, 2004, two Pakistanis, Raja Azad and Sajad Naeem, were captured and executed. They were working for Al Tamimi group as construction workers. 6) August 1, 2004, Turk, Murat Yuce, was captured and executed. He was working for Bilintur as a cleaner.” I could list many others, because these are but some of the 538 private contractor victims of the war in Iraq; most of whom were innocent victims killed by enemy combatants. Where is Assange’s moral outrage? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...deaths_in_Iraq
Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #27
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
Mistakes were made. Innocents tragically died. My question is: “Why did Assange choose to manipulate and portray this incident as an act of malicious murder?”

Another question: “Where was Assange’s moral outrage when: 1) on April 10, 2004, American, Nick Berg, was captured in Baghdad and executed on May 7. He was a businessman. 2) June 11, 2004, Lebanese, Hussein Ali Alyan, was captured and executed. He was working as a construction worker. 3) July 22, 2004, Bulgarian, Ivaylo Kepov, was captured and executed near Baiji. He was working for a Bulgarian trucking company as a truck driver. 4) July 25, 2004, Jordanian, Marwan Zuheir Al Rusan, was shot and killed in Mosul. He was a businessman. 5) July 28, 2004, two Pakistanis, Raja Azad and Sajad Naeem, were captured and executed. They were working for Al Tamimi group as construction workers. 6) August 1, 2004, Turk, Murat Yuce, was captured and executed. He was working for Bilintur as a cleaner.” I could list many others, because these are but some of the 538 private contractor victims of the war in Iraq; most of whom were innocent victims killed by enemy combatants. Where is Assange’s moral outrage? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...deaths_in_Iraq
You certainly make a good point with that. I don`t agree with everything Assange does or say, although i do find wikileaks important and the mobbing that happens against this source of information is - well - capital.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #28
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Quote:

Were any of these people killed by the country that has heretofore had the greatest record in history on human rights? Just curious? Seems like because of who we are and what we aspire to be we should be held to the highest possible standards. Do you really disagree?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Were any of these people killed by the country that has heretofore had the greatest record in history on human rights? Just curious?
The U.S. still holds the greatest record in history on human rights. Are you suggesting that the deaths of these contractors are of no consequence, because U.S. agents didn't kill them? Is that really a moral position?
Quote:
Seems like because of who we are and what we aspire to be we should be held to the highest possible standards. Do you really disagree?
When U.S. service personnel commit murder (or rape, etc.), they should be punished. I think I've made myself clear on this point, via my posts in this thread, in regards to the OP's original question. Per the OP's original post subject, the U.S. is obviously still working to aspire to the highest possible standards. If you subscribe to the mock morality ascribed by Assange, you have left the moral arena and entered politics.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

The US may or may not now hold the best record on human rights. It's certainly suffered greatly in the past ten years and shamefully, Obama is doing nothing to correct it.

No one has argued that the deaths of those you cite are of no consequence. But they have nothing to do with our human rights record nor do they justify, excuse, or lessen the immorality or inexusability of the conduct on these soldiers.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women