Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 250
Top Posters
DallasRain70453
biomed160837
Yssup Rider60189
gman4452975
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47676
pyramider46370
bambino40404
CryptKicker37104
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35580
Mojojo33117

Old 12-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4
Default Collapsing Gas Cans, EPA Regulations

https://www.surecanusa.com/post/2018...pa-regulations

Collapsing Gas Cans, EPA Regulations

Updated: May 28, 2019

Have you ever gone to use your gas can, only to find that it has collapsed in on itself like the picture above? For some of you, you may think this is a defect and that you got a bad can. You may have even contacted the manufacturer and asked for a replacement.

Did you know that this is not a defect at all and it is actually doing what the EPA requires a gas can to do? We will explain exactly what causes this collapse in just a minute. But First here is a little more information on EPA regulations.

In 2009 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) instated new regulations for portable fuel containers (AKA gas cans) and outlawing all those that have a vent hole in them. In these new regulations it states that a gas can cannot vent on its own while not in use. Here is a list of other regulations that the EPA requires.
  • A permeation-resistant container that permits no more than 0.3 grams per gallon per day of hydrocarbon emissions. This means while your gas can is not in use and sitting idol it cannot release that much vapor into the air per day.
  • Automatic closure, such as a nozzle that automatically springs to the closed position when the user is not pouring from the container.
  • Self-venting opening for dispensing fuel with no separate vents. This is the only time a gas can is allowed to vent.
  • Childproof features as outlined by the Children’s Gasoline Burn Prevention Act
We fully support the EPA in their quest to protect the environment and that is one reason why we built the SureCan the way it is today. It not only meets these standards but it exceeds them! SureCan is built with 6 layers wall thickness to prevent vapors from escaping as well as to be the most durable gas can on the market. Not all other fuel can manufacturers can say this. The gas cans that allow vapor to escape into the air through the walls of the can release that vapor and it sits inside your garage or enclosed trailer.

Alright, so why exactly does my gas can bloat or expand in the sun and collapse in the cooler temperatures? This is due to what is called the Combined Gas Law which states that “the ratio of the product of pressure and volume and the absolute temperature of a gas is equal to a constant”. Thus, if the gas temperature inside the can increases so will the pressure and volume inside the can (Bloated Can). Likewise, if the gas temperature inside the can decreases so will the pressure and volume inside the can (Collapsed Can).

When fuel vapor is trapped inside a closed container without any way of escaping as it increases and decreases in volume and pressure, the laws of chemistry and physics tell us that it has to go somewhere.

Here are some examples of gas cans that have collapsed in due to the change in cooler temperatures.

Now, how do I get my collapsed gas can to go back to normal? Simply make sure the cap is off and the can has properly vented, then place the cap back on and seal it up tight. Next place the gas can in the sun for approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour. The increased temperature will cause the can to swell pushing the walls back to the original shape.

How do I prevent this from happening again? Well, there really is not a sure way to prevent this from happening when your cap is sealed tight and vapor trapped inside. Unfortunately, due to the EPA regulations, fuel can manufactures are not able to place an automatic pressure release into the can design. So for now you will have to periodically open your cap and release the vapor before the temperature drops.

Ironically enough, OSHA on the other hand does require a fuel can to have an automatic pressure release feature incorporated into it for use on industrial jobsites and other construction sites. Why two government entities contradict each other in regards to venting is beyond us!

For more information on SureCan and our products please visit our website at www.SureCanUSA.com
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

those gas cans really do suck.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
the_real_Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

I didn't have time to read all that but I do have two five-gallon cans in my trunk. Both are kind of collapsed as it is colder then when they were filled. Big deal. Simple physics and thermal dynamics.
the_real_Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn View Post
I didn't have time to read all that but I do have two five-gallon cans in my trunk. Both are kind of collapsed as it is colder then when they were filled. Big deal. Simple physics and thermal dynamics.

yeah.

cold = contract
heat = expand

I had a 5 gal can that I used to fill a generator after Hurricane Ida passed. I put the empty can in the garage. I went to get the can to drain the generator of gas. the gas can was collapsed, crushed. it was unreal. first time I saw it.

so left the can outside for a couple of days where it could get some south Louisiana sun. its back to its regular proper shape. unreal.

btw, the gas pump was a $10 piece of junk from Harbor Freight. it quit working just as it finished draining the gas from the generator.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
Salty Again
Valued Poster

... Uh.. Not sure WHY this long-winded piece is in
the political forum... Must be a conspiracy...

#### Salty
Salty Again is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #6
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

its not that long. what made it long is those pictures. lol.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
Lucas McCain
Valued Poster

Dilbert, please tell me you have been drinking today and it brought out your inner oeb when it comes to starting threads.
Lucas McCain is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
those gas cans really do suck.

Down with EPA regs!!!! they suck for gas can owners.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Again View Post
... Uh.. Not sure WHY this long-winded piece is in
the political forum... Must be a conspiracy...

#### Salty
EPA made those regs and for the most its political. so they're on the stupid page.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas McCain View Post
Dilbert, please tell me you have been drinking today and it brought out your inner oeb when it comes to starting threads.
sorry to bust your chops. eye wasn't drinking. i'm no OEB. i was doing this in spurts before OEB was doing it overtime.

i'm not a teetotaler. eye drink but not that often.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #11
Salty Again
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas McCain View Post
... Ye Christ! ... Here we go again.

### Salty
Salty Again is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #12
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn View Post
It's Thermodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
yeah.

cold = contract
heat = expand
Torturing Barley word for word, right dilby? Thanks for opening the door here in this forum to add this:

Water expands when frozen. As you know, I like chemistry.

Does Water Expand or Contract When Heated?

https://sciencing.com/water-expand-c...d-5185456.html

Quote:
Water responds like any other compound to changing temperatures, but an anomaly occurs in a narrow range around the melting point, and it's a change that makes a big difference. When you heat ice, the molecules gain kinetic energy, and the ice expands until it melts. But once all the ice has turned to water and the temperature starts rising again, expansion stops. Between 32 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit (0 and 4 degrees Celsius), the melted water actually contracts as the temperature rises. Beyond 40 F (4 C), it starts to expand again. This phenomenon makes ice less dense than the water around it, which is the reason why ice floats.

Fake nerd.
eccieuser9500 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:32 AM   #13
the_real_Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

And by clicking that one space, it self corrected but it did not capitalize.

Also, water expands 1700 times when it flashes to vapor from a liquid state.
the_real_Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #14
Ripmany
BANNED

Encounters: 16

I love EZ flow it unlegal to convert any tank after 2000. But you can buy the nozzles in just convert the can.
Ripmany is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #15
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmany View Post
I love EZ flow it unlegal to convert any tank after 2000. But you can buy the nozzles in just convert the can.
yeah. i partially fixed the gas can. Pulled out that child protection ring clip. also pulled out the plastic gas filter thats supposedly I think reduce spills and fires.

it needs a vent and a replacement nozzle..

i'll get a kit later off of amazon.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women