Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70407
biomed160507
Yssup Rider59911
gman4452920
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47518
pyramider46370
bambino40312
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35336
Mojojo33117

Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #181
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchmasterman View Post
Military spending decreased every year from 1969 to 1976. In 1977 spending started to increase until 1986. It stayed steady until 1989. From 1990 until 2002 it mostly went down. It spiked up again in 2003.

The mission failure was caused by a brutal sandstorm, radio silence, and equipment failures related to the sandstorm. It was not Carter’s fault in any way except by virtue of him being President.

If anyone had blame it would be the planners. They sent a force that was too small. 8 started out. 2 aborted on the way to the rendezvous with the C-130s, and 1 had its primary hydraulics system fail at the site. With 6 aircraft as a mission minimum, the rescue was aborted. In my previous post I should have made it clear that the accident happened after the mission had been aborted.

The military’s pilots who were involved in the mission and the accident were the best trained we had. All had many, many years of experience and almost certainly were Viet Nam veterans. Why do I say that? Because that’s who you send on a mission like that.

Like with Obama, there are enough real issues with Carter. This was a case of bad luck, not a bad president.

Defense Budget (in billions)
1975 $293.3 Ford (fall of Saigon on 30 April)
1976 $283.8 Ford
1977 $286.2 Carter
1978 $286.5 Carter
1979 $295.6 Carter (the Iran Hostage Crisis begins November 4)
1980 $303.4 Carter (failed Operation Eagle Claw: April 24-25)
1981 $317.4 Reagan

The Marines piloting the RH-53D Sea Stallions were not fully integrated and trained to operate with Delta Force, but they were employed because no Army pilots were trained to operate the Sea Stallions - the only helicopter with the range to accomplish the mission (Bowden's Guests of the Ayatollah).

Training operations during the Carter years were seriously curtailed because of budgetary constraints, and equipment deadline rates soared because there was no money for repair parts. I was there; I remember it well.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #182
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
Defense Budget (in billions)
1975 $293.3 Ford (fall of Saigon on 30 April)
1976 $283.8 Ford
1977 $286.2 Carter
1978 $286.5 Carter
1979 $295.6 Carter (the Iran Hostage Crisis begins November 4)
1980 $303.4 Carter (failed Operation Eagle Claw: April 24-25)
1981 $317.4 Reagan

The Marines piloting the RH-53D Sea Stallions were not fully integrated and trained to operate with Delta Force, but they were employed because no Army pilots were trained to operate the Sea Stallions - the only helicopter with the range to accomplish the mission (Bowden Guests of the Ayatollah).

Training operations during the Carter years were seriously curtailed because of budgetary constraints, and equipment deadline rates soared because there was no money for repair parts. I was there; I remember it well.

Yes I B, you are right, the sandstorm had nothing to do with it.

Our military was piss poorly trained and had nothing to fly and Carter was to blame.

That is why the Iranians were scared of Reagan , because they knew our military was poorly trained but Reagan would single handily come over there and kick their ass.

And if all else failed, Reagan would sale them arms.

Yea that is it....
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #183
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Yea but I B was sly enough to divert the answer. He did not answer the obvious question I asked but instead hung his hat on the one thing Reagan may not have been in the loop on, though North sure said he was.
Were weapons given to Iran during the Reagan years? Yes. Did this happen on Reagan's watch? Yes. Were some of the proceeds used to fund the Contras? Yes. Was Reagan ultimately responsible? Yes. Was Reagan intimately aware of all of the details of every associated operation? Demonstrably, no. So your absolute statement stating otherwise is not substantiated by verifiable fact.
Quote:
Nobody was able to prove that the GOP withheld the release of the American hostages but it sure the fuc was in their best interest if they wanted to defeat Jimmy Carter. The Iranians influenced out 1980 election and Reagan rewarded them with arms. The question has always been, was it negotiated before hand.
This has been proven to be a conspiracy hoax - take off your tin-foil hat.
Quote:
The present Republican field of Presidential candidates always invoke old Ronnie, which one of them would say they will sell arms to Iran and grant amnesty to illegal's and get elected today? Which one would tout raising the SS tax rate? The tax on a gallon of gasoline? The people that worship Reagan really do not have a clue as to just wtf he did. Barrack Obama is way more like Reagan than any of these clowns are and the right leaning posters in this forum are to ignorant on this subject to even know wtf their hero's history is.
First, some White House officials and Republicans in Congress contended this week, the Boland Amendment's ban on ''direct or indirect'' aid to the contras by ''any agency or entity involved in intelligence activities'' did not apply to the President or his National Security Council [the Democrats, of course, disagreed].

Second, they have suggested, if these restrictions were interpreted to apply to the President or his National Security Council staff, they might be unconstitutional [the Democrats, once again - of course, disagreed]. President Reagan said in a magazine interview made public yesterday that the Congressional ban did not prevent him from asking others to supply aid. ''And there is nothing that has ever been in the Boland Amendment that could keep me from asking other people to help the rebels,'' Mr. Reagan was quoted as saying in the May 25 edition of U.S. News and World Report. ''The only restriction on me was that I couldn't approve the sending of help or arms out of our budget.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/17/wo...ess-s-ban.html

Very recently a president defied Congress by going to war in Libya. He wasn’t impeached.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #184
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Our military was piss poorly trained and had nothing to fly and Carter was to blame.

That is why the Iranians were scared of Reagan ,
Yeah, that about sums it up.

It was pilot error (attributable to lack of training) that caused the crash. The pilot didn't hold his position and allowed his hoovering helicopter to drift into the stationary C-130 fuel plane.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #185
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Were weapons given to Iran during the Reagan years? Yes. Did this happen on Reagan's watch? Yes. Were some of the proceeds used to fund the Contras? Yes. Was Reagan ultimately responsible? Yes. Was Reagan intimately aware of all of the details of every associated operation? Demonstrably, no. So your absolute statement stating otherwise is not substantiated by verifiable fact.
First, some White House officials and Republicans in Congress contended this week, the Boland Amendment's ban on ''direct or indirect'' aid to the contras by ''any agency or entity involved in intelligence activities'' did not apply to the President or his National Security Council [the Democrats, of course, disagreed].

Second, they have suggested, if these restrictions were interpreted to apply to the President or his National Security Council staff, they might be unconstitutional [the Democrats, once again - of course, disagreed]. President Reagan said in a magazine interview made public yesterday that the Congressional ban did not prevent him from asking others to supply aid. ''And there is nothing that has ever been in the Boland Amendment that could keep me from asking other people to help the rebels,'' Mr. Reagan was quoted as saying in the May 25 edition of U.S. News and World Report. ''The only restriction on me was that I couldn't approve the sending of help or arms out of our budget.''

Very recently a president defied Congress by going to war in Libya. He wasn’t impeached.
This is where Obama parts company with Reagan. He used the illegal libya air war support came from the Pentagon's budget while at the same time violating the war powers act.
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #186
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

I have to disagree. The planners (who you blame) came up with a plan involving gunships, a number of helicopters, a CAP, and a large number of fighting men. The predicted over 1,000 Iranian deaths and the loss of maybe half the hostages. Carter didn't want to kill that many Iranians so he asked the planners how many helicopters did they need, minimum, to pull of the mission. He was told that they needed at least 10, eight for the mission and two backups. Carter said they would use eight only (micromanaging the professionals). The helicopters did not have the proper filter screens since they had not been delivered to the ship and the intakes were fouled with sand. The buck stops in the Oval Office. Carter micromanaged the professionals and the logistics were not there to support the people on the ground or the ship. The military had been plagues with budget cut after budget cut under Carter. They were not up to speed and Carter didn't have the stomach for the fight. Don't worry though, Warren Christopher was the man who said the students would respect our embassy and he got promoted under Bill Clinton.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #187
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Why are you making fun of the late Don Knotts. He was a World War II veteran and I expect a little bit more respect for Don Knotts. Barney Fife was a character he played and recieved five Emmy nominations for.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #188
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Funny, I also have a Maytag repairman job and spend a lot of time researching things. You want links, you got em.

If I got some factually wrong then point it out with supporting evidence. Despite your claims you haven't done that.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #189
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Why are you making fun of the late Don Knotts. He was a World War II veteran and I expect a little bit more respect for Don Knotts. Barney Fife was a character he played and recieved five Emmy nominations for.
It would have been more correct to have used "Barney Fife" for the metaphor.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #190
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Arguing over opinion is not the same as proving facts.

Answer these questions about presidential travel; why did Obama go to Germany? why did Obama go to Egypt? why did Obama go to India? why did Obama go to Denmark? None of them had anything to do with policy. They were all about Obama.

I call them vacations, CBS doesn't.

Still doesn't answer the question about why are YOU bringing up Bush again?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #191
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
I have to disagree. The planners (who you blame) came up with a plan involving gunships, a number of helicopters, a CAP, and a large number of fighting men. The predicted over 1,000 Iranian deaths and the loss of maybe half the hostages. Carter didn't want to kill that many Iranians so he asked the planners how many helicopters did they need, minimum, to pull of the mission. He was told that they needed at least 10, eight for the mission and two backups. Carter said they would use eight only (micromanaging the professionals). The helicopters did not have the proper filter screens since they had not been delivered to the ship and the intakes were fouled with sand. The buck stops in the Oval Office. Carter micromanaged the professionals and the logistics were not there to support the people on the ground or the ship. The military had been plagues with budget cut after budget cut under Carter. They were not up to speed and Carter didn't have the stomach for the fight. Don't worry though, Warren Christopher was the man who said the students would respect our embassy and he got promoted under Bill Clinton.
who are you disagreeing with? its hard to tell since you didn't quote the relevant post.
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #192
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:

That is not the truth. I stated that North said he was in the loop. So I said he sold arms to Iran. Check. I said that North said he was in the Contra loop. Check. I had stated that North was not the most reliable but that is wtf North stated.

So thet what you are saying was that it was ok to over charge the Iranians for the weapons sale and divert the over charge to the Contras? Gotcha. How many people were convicted of this crime that seems to not be a crime? How many were eventually pardoned?

Neither was Reagan.

Now who said Obama was more like Reagan than any of the present GOP contenders in this thread? I believe it was WTF.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #193
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
This is where Obama parts company with Reagan. He used the illegal libya air war support came from the Pentagon's budget while at the same time violating the war powers act.
You are correct, he should have sold nukes to Iran to paid for the Libyan airstrikes. That way you Reagan supporters could have supported Obama for doing exactly like your hero!

Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought we were getting reimbursed on that cost by other countries including Libya? So it seems he did do exactly as Reagan did. He go another source to fund the airstrikes.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #194
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default God help ya , if you have a broken Maytag. A lying repairman seems is all you will get

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
who are you disagreeing with? its hard to tell since you didn't quote the relevant post.
Exactly.

He appears to be answering something from three pages ago but who knows.

I think it is his new ploy to say something without actually having to be pinned down with actual facts.

I think Maytag is having Washer issues.

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #195
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought we were getting reimbursed on that cost by other countries including Libya? So it seems he did do exactly as Reagan did. He go another source to fund the airstrikes.
Did this really happen? Or, was it all lip service? The U.S. provided most of the ordinance - at a million dollars per pop, because France and Britain soon exhausted their stock piles. Do you have a hyperlink that documents an actual transfer of funds?

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women