Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70397
biomed160382
Yssup Rider59878
gman4452896
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47471
pyramider46370
bambino40295
CryptKicker37070
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35238
Mojojo33117

Old 05-02-2024, 12:21 PM   #1726
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Contrarian View Post
I'm also surprised that the headline deficit wasn't even higher, given all the ginormous spending bills passed while Democrats still controlled the house in 2021-2022.

Here's my take on why that may be the case. It's largely conjecture, since I'm much to lazy to delve into details regarding the spending timeline for the appropriated funds. But to me it seems much more likely than not that politicians, who above all else want to get reelected, sought to place and sustain the economy on a deficit-financed "sugar high" that would last as long as possible. Hence the desire to extend the timeline for spending on infrastructure, chip fab subsidies, market interventions, etc.

I think that notion squares with my previous observation that the big-government crowd wanted to bake spending increases into the pie so that they could be sustained for as long as possible. Now you see that the Biden team is pushing for a $7.3 budget outline, as I posted a few days ago.

Connected with this, notice the large divergence between the monthly debt accumulation run rate during the last year and the headline budget deficit. I recently stated that the real deficit should be considered to be the actually debt increase, including all the sleight-of-hand like "off the books" spending. After all, if money has been borrowed in the Treasury markets but not yet spent, does anyone seriously believe it's going to just sit there in government accounts and not be spent sometime in the near future?

Now, if you drill down to just a bit below the surface, you may notice something very interesting. Take a look at how the Treasury General Account (TGA) has been nicely stuffed over the last 12 months.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/D2WLTGAL

As you can see, the balance tends to hang around the $300 billion level, give or take about $100 billion, unless something unusual is happening, such as when it skyrocketed in readiness for covid-related relief/stimulus.

But now it's about $600 billion higher than that approximate long-term average.

So, what the hell is going on here? Are Janet Yellen and her Treasury deputies anticipating an emergency or crisis sometime soon?

(Oh, yes! Isn't there a critical event coming up on November 5th of this year?)

If I'm a Treasury Secretary with a nearly trillion-dollar checkbook, and have available funds of $600 billion or more in excess of what is really needed for day-to-day operations, I sure do have a shot at making a lot of stuff all around the country look juicier than it really is.

Therefore, I think you can expect the Treasury to helicopter-drop cash into as many nooks and crannies of the economy as possible in order to keep the headline unemployment rate near historical lows, and the macroeconomy having a "feel" that's as nice as possible.
Very interesting! And insightful. Yes, the federal debt held by the public increased by a lot more than the amount of the 2023 deficit. The build up in the U.S Treasury General Account would appear to go a long way towards explaining the difference. And yes, it looks like Yellen has a $929 billion slush fund to spend between now and the election. It's a good time to ramp up expenditures in purple states authorized by legislation passed in 2021 and 2022.

Earlier today, I was thinking positive things about Powell and the Fed, that they're probably not going to lower interest rates solely for political purposes between now and the election. Well, it may not matter, if Yellen gets aggressive on the fiscal side.

Do any examples of the federal government's off balance sheet debt come to mind? The one thing I can think of is accounting for entitlements. I suspect if a public company accounted for its defined benefit pension plan like the federal government accounts for social security and Medicare, the SEC would be on its back worse than Enron.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:42 PM   #1727
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Remember this. In 1969, Senator Everett Dirckson stated……..

“A billion here, a billion there, soon we will be talking about real money”.

Wow, I doubt a billion will even pay one days interest on today’s debt.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...%207%2C%201969.
Jackie S is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:35 PM   #1728
txdot-guy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Contrarian View Post
So, what the hell is going on here? Are Janet Yellen and her Treasury deputies anticipating an emergency or crisis sometime soon?

(Oh, yes! Isn't there a critical event coming up on November 5th of this year?)

If I'm a Treasury Secretary with a nearly trillion-dollar checkbook, and have available funds of $600 billion or more in excess of what is really needed for day-to-day operations, I sure do have a shot at making a lot of stuff all around the country look juicier than it really is.

Therefore, I think you can expect the Treasury to helicopter-drop cash into as many nooks and crannies of the economy as possible in order to keep the headline unemployment rate near historical lows, and the macroeconomy having a "feel" that's as nice as possible.

Considering the chips act and infrastructure bill were passed in 21/22 it's very possible that institutional bureaucracy is to blame rather than a coordinated policy of dragging out payments until election season. As anyone who has worked in the public sector can tell you there is a large lead time between when the legislation is passed and when work begins.
txdot-guy is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:56 PM   #1729
Levianon17
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post
Remember this. In 1969, Senator Everett Dirckson stated……..

“A billion here, a billion there, soon we will be talking about real money”.

Wow, I doubt a billion will even pay one days interest on today’s debt.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...%207%2C%201969.
Dirckson was a great Senator. Too bad there isn't more like him.
Levianon17 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women