Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 267
George Spelvin 253
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70486
biomed161088
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453050
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47791
pyramider46370
bambino40454
CryptKicker37108
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
nicholas linnear
Valued Poster

Encounters: 68
Default Large Hadron Collider

Is Neil Degrasse Tyson a hobbyist? Or any other physicists out there in hobbyland?

Up front here folks, I didn`t finish high school and was mostly occupied with pot smoking and my ongoing affair with my biology teacher( thank you Mrs. Jones for contributing to my somewhat fucked up sexual id) so please excuse my ignorance.....

I think about weird shit a lot.

E=MC2

My general impression is that Einstein said that travelling at light speed is impossible due to the fact that as an object( I am assuming all the way from an atom to an armchair) nears light speed its mass increases exponentially.

Okay.

Large Hadron Collider- banging particles together at close to light speed to see what happens, basically( if there is such a thing in this arena).

Question- at what speed does mass start to increase? Has this been observed? How long would it take an atom travelling at this speed to become visible?

Anyone know?
nicholas linnear is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas linnear View Post
Question- at what speed does mass start to increase? Has this been observed? How long would it take an atom travelling at this speed to become visible?
Mass starts to increase as soon as it starts moving. Even at 1/100th MPH. But the increase is minute.

The atom does not become visible because the size does not increase, just the mass.

Think of it this way, at 99% of the speed of light, a rocket and its fuel have become extremely heavy. But the thrust of the rocket has not become greater. So, it just cannot push past the speed of light boundary.

The only particles that move at or near the speed of light are particles that have essentially not mass - like photons.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
ronrocket
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

An object with mass travelling exactly at the speed has infinite energy, which is why any object cannot travel at the speed of light, unless it is massless, like photons. But speed is a measurement made relative to something else, which you say is stationary. A car going 70 mph is going 70 mph relative to the stationary ground, but the ground really isn't stationary. Earth is spinning, going around the Sun which itself is orbiting the galactic center as our galaxy moves relative to other galaxies. There is no universal, fixed frame of reference. The funny thing is that the speed of light is the same for all observers no matter the relative speed (acceleration is another matter). Travel at half the speed of light toward someone and shoot a laser at them. You will measure that the laser light moves with the speed of light. So will the person you are travelling toward.
ronrocket is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
nicholas linnear
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
Mass starts to increase as soon as it starts moving. Even at 1/100th MPH. But the increase is minute.

The atom does not become visible because the size does not increase, just the mass.

Think of it this way, at 99% of the speed of light, a rocket and its fuel have become extremely heavy. But the thrust of the rocket has not become greater. So, it just cannot push past the speed of light boundary.

The only particles that move at or near the speed of light are particles that have essentially not mass - like photons.
This a little confusing...size and mass are different? What defines mass? Has an object actually been observed actually increasing in mass, even a car travelling at 100mph?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
nicholas linnear
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrocket View Post
An object with mass travelling exactly at the speed has infinite energy, which is why any object cannot travel at the speed of light, unless it is massless, like photons. But speed is a measurement made relative to something else, which you say is stationary. A car going 70 mph is going 70 mph relative to the stationary ground, but the ground really isn't stationary. Earth is spinning, going around the Sun which itself is orbiting the galactic center as our galaxy moves relative to other galaxies. There is no universal, fixed frame of reference. The funny thing is that the speed of light is the same for all observers no matter the relative speed (acceleration is another matter). Travel at half the speed of light toward someone and shoot a laser at them. You will measure that the laser light moves with the speed of light. So will the person you are travelling toward.
Another weird question- when does an object ( can we say an atom or photon is an object in the same way that a rocket is an object) become affected by gravity? Is an atom a slave to gravity in the same way a car is? If not , where is the line drawn?

Again, these are queries coming from a guy with no formal education.

Exploring these concepts from the other end of the spectrum is also interesting...i.e. the spiritual angle.
THE Yoga Sutra of Patanjali
A chapter called Vibhuti Padawhich deals with the supposed "powers" that a yogi can attain from the practise contained in the book.
Some of which involve the ability to make onself as small as an atom or as large as an Astral body.
Making onself invisible ( science has now achieved this)

In the book Autobiography of a Yogi Yogananda gives very lucent explanations about how "miracles" are performed.

Anyhoo....I still wonder about the Hadron Collider and if they're able to sling groupings of molecules at each other....
Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Wakeup
Valerie's Mod Husband

Encounters: 4

Size, if you mean volume, and mass are two very different things. Two objects can be the same volume, but have different weights. Weight is based on mass in a gravitational field, so yes, two objects of the same volume (size) can have different weights (mass). A cup full of sand has much less mass than a cup full of lead. The concept you're missing is "density." Denser matters pack more mass into the same volume as less dense matters. Denser matters use less volume as the same mass of less dense matters.

No, no one has measured an energy-momentum increase of a car moving 100mph. Energy-momentum increase is negligible until relativistic velocities. 100mph is about 45 meters per second. Light travels at 300,000 meters per second. The car's velocity is about .00015 that of light. The numbers are too small, and there's no way to measure the car's energy-momentum that accurately.

All objects that have mass, no matter their volume (size), are affected by gravity in relatively the same way.

As a side note, general relativity doesn't use the term mass the same way most of these answers are forming it...
Wakeup is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
April Cox
Account Disabled

User ID: 178285
My ECCIE Reviews

Interesting topic.

I would love a visit with Neil Degrasse Tyson, handsome and smart, turn me on yeah!
April Cox is offline   Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
Roothead
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

You may not have a lot of education, but your questions paint a picture of a very intelligent guy.... Get yourself a copy of the following book. It takes every scientiific genru and distills each into basic concepts for the non-Mensa crowd lol... I have had to buy 3-4 copies as every time I lend it out, they never want to give it back.....

Author: Bill Bryson
Title: "a short history of nearly everything"
Roothead is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Guest010619
Account Disabled

Encounters: 54
Default Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas linnear View Post
Is Neil Degrasse Tyson a hobbyist? Or any other physicists out there in hobbyland?

so please excuse my ignorance.....

I think about weird shit a lot.

E=MC2

E=mc2
Set oven to 350F for 30 minutes. Add Eggs, milk, 2 cups of cheese, also the recipe for quiche.

Matter changes with energy.

Question- at what speed does mass start to increase? Has this been observed?
Balance a baseball of your head. No problem. Have a provider throw it to your head, big problem. Any speed will do.
Get the picture?

How long would it take an atom travelling at this speed to become visible?
Look into a laser (do not look into laser again with remaining eye) or better, use a flashlight, or the flash of a nuclear bomb, report back.

Anyone know?
Yes.
Guest010619 is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
thebuffmantraples
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4
Default Ugotme..If that don't get him..there's no hope!

That's funny Sir.

I was just going to tell him to jump in from of a moving car and report the difference? Parked car no problem, moving car ..
thebuffmantraples is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
Guest010619
Account Disabled

I built cloud chambers to observe alpha particles while studying nuclear physics as a teenager and received a merit badge towards my Eagle Scout. The university professor was so impressed that he almost asked me to conduct a class in the terminology.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #12
Guest010619
Account Disabled

Einstein theorized that Gravity and Magnetism could be explained in what he termed a Unified Theory. He never was able to accomplish the equation to prove it. His works, along with other, opened up fields in quantum mechanics which is still in its infancy.
Perhaps someday we'll understand how gravity and magnetism work and scoot around on 'hover boards', build ships that can repel gravity as do UFOs, or travel across dimensions, create forcefields and travel faster than light and through time. The reverse engineering being done on UFOs may get us there one day, but will we understand it? It's been compared to Columbus' crew piloting a nuclear submarine. They may learn how to work it, but not understand how it works.
Which brings me to this point.
I think H.G. Wells said it best in his book, The Time Machine.
"I grieve at how brief the dream of man's intellect had been."
As a species, we're screwed.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women