Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 275
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70713
biomed162649
Yssup Rider60407
gman4453227
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48453
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41654
CryptKicker37183
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
The_Waco_Kid36042
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Chloe Kensington
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 91589
Default Which Charities Do You Think Actually Give Most of the Donated Money to Their Cause?

This thread is prompted by replies to my Lottery thread. Apologies if need be, but this is a serious question.

After all, I imagine most of us are asked for money for charities a lot.

My experience is that a lot of the time I have no idea where the money is going or sometimes even who/what the charity is for.

Then when I say no I get the dirty looks.

Examples - Publix often asks for money after they've just told you what the bill is. I always say no. I'm very distrustful of whatever charity they're pushing and have complained about the dirty looks and curses in other languages I've gotten in that store as a result.

A couple of nights ago I went to a very popular bar in Miami to chill out after a very busy day. Outside was a table with a number of women asking for money for victims of crime. With illegible hand written cards explaining that. (I couldn't read it, asked for a verbal explanation.)

These are just on the ground, minor incursions. I imagine that people who run larger organisations get asked to donate to charities more.

A lot of us want to help others and wouldn't mind doing it through charities - if we could trust them.

My question is - are there any charities/causes where the large majority of the given resources actually go to the cause that's being pushed?
Chloe Kensington is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Naomi4u
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 55719
My ECCIE Reviews

Ugh I know there are a few charities wouldn't take your money if they knew HOW you made it. Sucks huh?

As for the grocery store taking up money for charities, I always say no too. I don't know if they're really going to them and I'm usually not in the giving mood when grocery shopping.
Naomi4u is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Sweet N Little
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 24680
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I'm soft hearted and a sucker, I will give to about anything, I look at it as Karma
Sweet N Little is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Chloe Kensington
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 91589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet N Little View Post
I'm soft hearted and a sucker, I will give to about anything, I look at it as Karma
I think you're right really, the principle is to give with good intention and not so much to count where it ends up. After all, God works in mysterious ways.

Nevertheless, I have a severe antipathy to a lot of the established charities, frankly, and my preferred way of giving is through the talents and skills that I have (no crass comments puh - lease...).

I don't know too much about charities but from what I have experienced and observed, what's often severely lacking is much humanity/beauty/wonder.

For example the animal shelter I mentioned in another thread has a lot of volunteer help. but still the animals live in horrible, frightening little prisons. The human touch means so much to beings in distress, and sometimes we undervalue what we give.

I remember (OK, a little vaguely) a conversation in a bar I had some time ago with another somewhat regular there, a money manager. He looks like he has everything going for him (well, he has - just had a beautiful little boy with his wife actually.).

The story he told me was when he was holed up in a hospital after a motorbike accident, in a very terrible state. Every day an older guy would come around the wards asking, Hey, would you like some candy? (Not a pervert.)

This guy thought - 'What the f--k do I want candy for?!?!?'.

But as things evolved the older man's kindness every day, not wanting something from him, was something that the guy I was talking to really felt got him through and heal.

The guy (I was talking to) felt that this was the only person he was connecting to who didn't want something from him. The (sweet) guy who was talking to him had been in pretty much the same position, that's why he did what he did.

God works in mysterious ways and love is what gets us through.
Chloe Kensington is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
London Rayne
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 21422
My ECCIE Reviews

The Red Cross and St. Jude are about the best I have seen based on stats, but I give to a different one every week.

I think one of the best things to do is volunteer at the Children's Hospital in your area. You can see first hand what goes on, and what your money will help achieve. Even if it's only one day a week for a couple of hours, it really makes a difference when children see a smiling face coming to help them.
London Rayne is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

There are more charities than you can possibly research.

Let an organization do your work: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

If you want to donate a sum of money anonymously, go to http://givinganon.org/.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Charles....you're baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Glad to see you posting in the ole D&T again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rayne View Post
The Red Cross and St. Jude are about the best I have seen based on stats, .
True dat!

My sister's college roomie unfortunatly had to use St Jude's for one of her children and it was wonderful as far as to those kinds of things go.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
London Rayne
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Charles....you're baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Glad to see you posting in the ole D&T again.

True dat!

My sister's college roomie unfortunatly had to use St Jude's for one of her children and it was wonderful as far as to those kinds of things go.
I try and get by for at least a day every time I am in Memphis. Would certainly never wish any of us had to use them, but I do support them.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
jframe2
Valued Poster

Here is a different idea- go to your local VA hospital or a nursing home and adopt a Veteran. I started doing this about 3 years ago... I am a veteran also.

Last year, I rented a car and we went to a strip club for his birthday..... man talk about getting action.

This year, he kept asking me if we were going.... so I grabbed a couple of Vet buddies and we did it again.

I do see him a couple of times a month and just do stuff; watch ballgames, talk about stuff.
Just an idea that only involves giving your time, not money.
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
guest031513-1
Account Disabled

Just by saying charity leaves a rather broad range of options. There are good sources for all types, best to find things that actually interest you and donate to those. I normally donate to fundraisers held by people I know so I can be sure that the money goes to good use, these aren't monthly but normally event based. Another route which is the only one I do on a monthly basis is donating to missionaries, I do this with 2 people that I personally know and trust which allows them to help others. Missionaries often are through organizations that will setup payment plans, automatically send needed tax paperwork and that stuff. It also allows for great travel opportunities to visit them and see exactly where your money is going.
guest031513-1 is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

I usually donate to animal causes. Its an interesting question, though, Amanda, on how to find out if charity is reliable or not. In my small country this is not a problem, but in the USA i really would not know where to start.Thanks for that question :-)
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
John Bull
Valued Poster

Red Cross sucks. When they go into a distressed zone, they charge for their services. I'm speaking of war zones. Can't say for sure about domestic. Still, they suck!
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
London Rayne
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Red Cross sucks. When they go into a distressed zone, they charge for their services. I'm speaking of war zones. Can't say for sure about domestic. Still, they suck!
I have never heard that in my life. They were rated number 1 when Katrina hit us and everyone I talk to says the people get the money. They don't have fancy things to offer because they are actually using the money on things people need.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Snuggles
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

the red cross is awesome
but it should be pointed out that the American Red Cross is not the same as the International Red Cross. You can Donate to sub branches to keep you charity local...like the Nabraska Red cross or Houston red cross ..all subs of the american red cross. The international is its own entity which mr bull may be refeering to. The american just shows up n helps out when the poop hits the fan.
Snuggles is offline   Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #15
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi4u View Post
Ugh I know there are a few charities wouldn't take your money if they knew HOW you made it. Sucks huh?
that is true. unfortunately.
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women