Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70438
biomed160743
Yssup Rider60106
gman4452947
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47639
pyramider46370
bambino40358
CryptKicker37099
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35474
Mojojo33117

Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Penn State Sanctioned

$60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998. Is that enough?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998

They tore down the statue, too. That's the problem with turning humans into gods. The humans start believing their own hype, but we eventually find out the truth.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default My God would not! That is how I know there is no God.

Gods are all a figment of one's mind.

There is no such thing.

Would any God let child rape occur?
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default From your article:

The chair said that the NCAA was dealing with a case that is outside the traditional rules or violations. He said this case does not fall within the basic fundamental purpose of NCAA regulations.

"The purpose of the NCAA is to keep a level playing field among schools and to make sure they use proper methods through scholarships and etcetera," the chair said. "This is not a case that would normally go through the process. It has nothing to do with a level playing field. It has nothing to do with whether Penn State gets advantages over other schools in recruiting or in the number of coaches or things that we normally deal with."

The NCAA, the chair said, had never gotten involved in punishing schools for criminal behavior.

"The criminal courts are perfectly capable of handling these situations," the former chair said. "This is a new phase and a new thing. They are getting into bad behavior that are somehow connected to those who work in the athletic department.
"This is an important precedent. And it should be taken with extreme care."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the NCAA has over stepped their boundry. Now if you think it OK to make up rules and laws as you go along , then fine, that is what dictators do. I am one that believes in the rule of law. Many others on this forum seem to think otherwise.

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

because it fell outside of cheating per se on sports, no recruiting violations etc, i was of the mind the NCAA should have kept hands off. I'm not even sure what NCAA rule was broken. Maybe they have an overall "for the good of the sport" type rule

i still think going after the people in charge who aided and abetted the coverup, financially, stripping them of pensions, having them liable for indemnifying the state and the school for any monetary settlements is the thing to do if possible. If not, any future state contracts etc, with state personel who reach a certain level of pay and responsibility, should make them liable.
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67

They gave SMU the death penalty for much less. And I think the NCAA requires its member schools to abide by the statutes of law and lawful conduct. Unless you're trying to say that Penn State should be left alone since there's no evidence that they paid for a kid's trip home for Thanksgiving.... SHIRLEY you don't mean that!

Not only should the football program be suspended from post season, but regular seasons, scholarships, etc., for a minimum of four years.

I wouldn't have a problem if the entire athletic program were to be put on ice for four years too.

This is a slap on the fucking wrist. Really little else. Teams get banned from postseason play for recruiting violations.

It's an outrage. A mid-major conference school would have been torn to shreds.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
CJ7
Valued Poster

Nuke the entire state ... its the governors fault for not keeping his school in line.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Are we discussing religion, crime and punishment, or sports?

On religion; god does not let anything happen. It is called free will. We are allowed to make our own choices and sometimes they are evil choices. If we had a proverbial shock collar continually correcting our behavior then we are not free to do good or evil.

Crime and punishment: The fine I can understand as the university's system broke down. Paterno is gone and Zandusky is going to die in prison. I don't understand the vacation of the wins. What does that accomplish? Did the child abuse have anything to do with Penn State winning? This kind of places an onus on the players during those years. You didn't win after all. So do the other guys win? Will the record books be changed to reflect this? Will contracts be withdrawn? No, no, and no.

Sports: Don't really care as I think too many universities put too much stock in their sports programs. These programs end up corrupted with money and do nothing to help society.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Seemed more of a legal matter than sports if it had been a math teacher instead of a coach would the outcome been different?
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

It is a "death penalty", trust me having been through the 2nd worse sanctions after SMU, we went 0-10-1 one year. It took about 5/10 years to recover. The scholarship limit is 85, in four years they will be down to 65. That will 3 deep without injuries and that is not counting any players who transfer out

They are done, stick a fork in them
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67

I'm not sure vacating the wins is such a harsh penalty. I'd rather see them out of football for four years than rewriting history.

I'm sure there'll be a whole spate of new T-shirt sales for the "new" Big 10 champion schools. How hollow will that be.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
icuminpeace
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

I'm not familiar with NCAA rules and regulations, but I'm glad the hatchet went down. If we could only get the catholic church to sanction themselves as well and do the right thing, then I'll say there has been some progress.
icuminpeace is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
74comet
Valued Poster

Encounters: 16

I can't wait to see the flack I get for this response but here goes!

Let me preface this by stating that in no way what so ever would I ever condone the actions of Jerry Sandusky. He will, in my eyes, never receive the punishment that he is due.
After watching the press conference regarding the sanctions against PSU I was not surprised in at what was handed down and basically support their actions. The $60m fine, the reduction in football scholarships, no bowl games, I'm okay with this. We need to teach a lesson that life is bigger than Division I sports. They are called "student athletes" but too many years ago we lost sight of this. Where I do have a major disagreement with their punishment of JoePa.
Unfortunately we are being spoon fed what the press wants us to hear and perceive. If any of you have taken the time to read the report, you most likely wonder how these people came to the conclusion that Joe was behind the cover-up. Here are a few fact....There were 3.5 million emails read in the course of the investigation. That works out to one email a second that needed to be read over the 6 months of the investigation. There is no way this can be sorted, categorized and assembled into a logical assessment of the involved parties. Secondly, do you know how many emails of these 3.5m Joe wrote? If you guessed zero you would be right. Of these 3.5m emails how many mention Joe at all. There were a grand total of 2 that mentioned the word "Coach" which is safe to presume means Paterno. And of these two all that is mentioned is that coach would like an update. That is it! Quite incriminating isn't it, not.
Did you know that the Pennsylvania State Police had Jerry Sandusky in handcuffs in 1998 for pedophilia. However the DA said that there was not enough evidence to proceed with a case and a conviction would not happen. Also did you know that Sandusky was allowed to still adopt children after the 1998 event? I guess Children Services still considered him not to be a pedophile at that time. After 1998 Jerry was retired and not a member if the staff at PSU though he held emeritus status. Therefore he was NOT a responsibility of Joe but ultimately the responsibility of the Athletic Director and the upper administration.
This brings up another issue with the press. How is it that most of the headlines are "Joe Paterno and others involved in cover up" (yes this is an exact quote of a headline) . Why didn't the press report it as the others who are criminally charges as involved in the cover up. How many of you can actually name the three that have been forced to resign and have been criminally charged in the cover-up? Just to enlighten you they are Graham Spanier former President of PSU, Tim Curley former AD and Gary Schultz former Senior VP. This is just another fine case of the media sensationalizing and not sticking to the facts.
If any of you have the time to read the entire report with an open mind I truly believe you come to a totally different conclusion that what the press is feeding you.
Again I cannot state strongly enough that what Sandusky did is 100% reprehensible and every time I hear his name I want to throw-up. May God and the community help his victims deal with what happened to them.
Schultz, Curley & Spanier hopefully will get their reward for destroying what was a fine program. However I still stand behind JoePa and (unless something else comes out) that is where I will remain forever.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!!
74comet is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
CJ7
Valued Poster

I find it next to impossible to believe Paterno knew of or covered up anything that had to do with bringing harm to the kids ... they were his life, they respected and loved him, and he them. Im not a Penn State fan, I dont have a dog in this hunt, but when I watched the cops block off the street and remove his statue it made me feel empty inside ... decades of legacy destroyed with no proof positive and a man that cant speak for or defend himself

wow
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

The one thing I agree with, as I do not think the sanctions were near enough, is staying the wins. It is as if Paterno and everyone else had been fired in 1998. His record is null and void as it should be. Everything else, is far too easy on them. Schools are supposed to maintain institutional control of the programs. Clearly Penn State didn't, and children paid the price. That is the NCAA's right to sanction the school.

Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
The one thing I agree with, as I do not think the sanctions were near enough, is staying the wins. It is as if Paterno and everyone else had been fired in 1998. His record is null and void as it should be. Everything else, is far too easy on them. Schools are supposed to maintain institutional control of the programs. Clearly Penn State didn't, and children paid the price. That is the NCAA's right to sanction the school.

I beg your pardon ... obviously you have absloute proof Paterno was directly involved and knowingly covered up the entire scenario ..

so lets see it.
CJ7 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women